January 30, 2013

WIP Wednesday

A blowing snowy afternoon here. After yesterday morning's 65 degrees it feels really, really cold. The expected wind chill tomorrow night is like -30. I'm not ready quite yet for spring, but I miss puttering in the yard. I've almost had enough of a break from it. And I'm ready for us to be able to be outside without so many thick layers.

I realized that since it's post-Christmas I can start sharing what I'm working on again and there's already been a fair bit of crafting and knitting this morning so time for a WIP update!

The kids and I are working on a sky scarf. The idea is to record the color of the sky every day and then knit a row for every day to make a scarf. At the end of the year you'll have a sort of weather record. Every morning during circle time we discuss the weather and look at the color of the sky. Winter here is a lot of light blue sky and some white and gray.



I've been pleased that we've mostly kept up on it - there were a couple days here and there that I kind of guessed at. I'm hoping we'll keep it going for at least 6 months, but I'd love for it to be a 12 month project. The idea is that Guthrie will take it over in a few months when she's had more knitting practice.


The other project in the basket is a new cowl for me. Because everyone needs more than one - and I've had my other one for 3 winters now. Time for a new one! I picked up some Boboli yarn at Knit and Knot, our newish LYS, and it's got rayon in it.



Makes it kind of shimmery and smooth, but well, I'll just get used to the ease at which the strands split if my needle hits them wrong.  I do love the color though and I'm using Stephen West's Purl Ridge Scarf pattern - a free ravelry download. It's a bit mindless, which I need right now as my last few projects have needed more focus.


Think of us eating brownies and reading chapter 4 of The Long Winter --- it's the first blizzard of the year in October, and looking outside at our own blizzardy conditions this afternoon.



Maybe I can go a few more weeks until spring!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails