1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
parented two children. i maintain that the second baby was leaps and bounds easier than the first baby but learning how to balance both kids was/is a whole new thing.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i don't think i had any resolutions last year. i am going to make some for this year though. maybe continue working on that life list too.
3. did anyone close to you give birth?
uh, me. duh. and it feels like about 10 other friends. i've started to love watching first time moms, or even moms who want to parent differently this time around figure out how to negotiate motherhood and their new identities.
4. did anyone close to you die?
both of John's grandparents died and i guess because of my job i feel like a lot of people close to me died. hospice will do that to you.
5. what countries did you visit?
haha. haha. we went camping. in iowa. does that count? the travel bug is biting me again and i don't know what we'll do about that. i want to go to a foreign country! with my kids!
6. what would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
a little more sense of calm. a little more rhythm to my every day.
7. what date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
i feel like i should say March 2nd because that's the day Laithe was born, but really, March 1st was much more of an important day for me. etched is not the word. branded? that was the day i figured out that my biggest fear (or at least tangible biggest fear) was going to happen: scheduled/elective repeat c-section. i railed against the universe for a few hours. loudly. and then i allowed myself to experience some grace.
it was a big day. so was the next day.
8. what was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. what was your biggest failure?
see #1. only slightly kidding. Man, there just isn't anything like having small children. It will knock you on your ass.
10. did you suffer illness or injury?
abdominal surgery counts, right? that bout of the flu on Guthrie' birthday was pretty crappy though. health-wise this has been a pretty good year for me. i still would like someone to do something about my sinuses though.
11. what was the best thing you bought?
a new kitchen faucet. not even kidding. changed my life.
of course Guthrie and Laithe's!
12. whose behavior merited celebration?
13. whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?that stupid prozac-taking cat. pee everywhere.
also still appalled and depressed about the state of Iowa's elections this year. I am so proud to live in this state, but that was not a proud moment.
14. where did most of your money go?
thanks to a change in legislation John and I were able to do IBR this year and dramatically change our take home income - so i'm happy to say most of our money went to our mortgage and not our student loans!
15. what did you get really, really, really excited about?
being a family of four. it still makes me giddy!
Stars' 'The Night Starts Here'. Guthrie knows all the words and it's so cute to hear her sing to it. Also the first few tracks of whatever Kings of Convenience cd John has on his phone. It will forever remind me of the first few months of Laithe's life as he would always rock him to sleep with it on.
17. compared to this time last year, are you
i. happier or sadder?: very happy. i was very happy this time last year though too. my level of life satisfaction is higher than i ever thought it could be
ii. thinner or fatter?: thinner but less in shape. not a good combo
iii. richer or poorer?: about the same. but richer in my heart! ;)
18. what do you wish you’d done more of?
sitting still and watching. appreciating each moment for exactly what it is. listening instead of talking.
19. what do you wish you’d done less of?
20. how did you spend Christmas?
with family. My immediate and some extended. and I didn't ever get out of my sweats.
22. did you fall in love in 2010?
every damn day.
23. what was your favorite TV program?
24. do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
i don't have enough energy to keep my house clean- how could i have the energy to hate somebody?
25. what was the best book you read?
i have no idea, but i read a lot thanks to my librarian husband constantly supplying me with good books. that's one of the nicest things he does for me.
26. what was your greatest musical discovery?i really liked The Weepies this year.
29. what did you want and get?
30. what did you want and not get?
a home birth.
31. what was your favorite film of this year?
what? they still make movies? huh. i had no idea!
32. what did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
32. i spent the day with my family. i hearted it.
33. what one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
see #30. but i've no lack of gratefulness for what actually happened. i would still like to have that happen though- maybe 2012?
34. how would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
covered in spit up and drool? occasionally urine and poop? most definitely banana and graham crackers.
35. what kept you sane?
my husband and kids- the very things that make me crazy. and a few well timed trips to Borders doesn't hurt.
36. which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
wow. i have no idea what to write here.
37. what political issue stirred you the most?
the mid-term elections here.
38. who did you miss?
i really missed my best friend Melissa. I got to see her shortly after having Laithe and it was wonderful but so very brief. add her to the list of what keeps me sane! i never thought we wouldn't be raising our kids together and going camping together and pawning our kids off on our husbands together so we can go out. but even though we're not doing those things I still feel so supported by her. I just wish it wasn't from 2000 miles away.
39. who was the best new person you met?
i met some incredible people through work this year. HIPAA won't let me share any of it!
40. tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010:
that you can meet life head on and not only survive but find joy and gratefulness in it.
'let the wild rumpus start'
i realize that's not a song lyric per say, but there's been a lot of the soundtrack for Where the Wild Things Are in our house this year. this fits perfectly.